It’s that time of year again…the cold and snow of winter.
Still, it is a fun time for kids and families to be outdoors enjoying the season, but you want to be careful, too.
Safety First In Winter
It will be cold outside and many times kids are enjoying themselves so much they can be exposed to dangerously cold conditions. Here a few tips:
- Dress in layers. Loose fitting clothing makes not only time outside more enjoyable, you can also remove or add layers as needed.
- Use wicking base layers and breathable clothing. This allows you to retain heat and pass moisture through the fabric to prevent chills.
- Make sure sunscreen is applied to exposed skin. Even on cloudy days, UV radiation can cause sunburn; and the higher the elevation the more you are exposed to UV light. Plus, snow will reflect UV light and concentrate its effects.
- Make sure you wear hats and gloves as most of your body heat escapes through your hands and head.
- Wear waterproof boots/shoes and wicking socks to help keep feet dry and warm.
- Drink plenty of fluids as dehydration is not just a problem in the summer. The dry winter air increases the risk of becoming dehydrated.
- Make sure the areas where kids are sledding, snowboarding, or skiing are free of obstructions.
- When snowboarding or skiing, it is a good idea to wear a helmet.
- Goggles and other eye protection can help as well. The snow on a sunny day can be very bright and may cause temporary vision problems unless you are wearing UV absorbing eyewear.
Practice Good Dental Hygiene
Be sure to maintain good dental hygiene, brushing and flossing on a regular basis. Take care of your teeth so they will last a lifetime.
We want everyone to have fun in the winter and enjoy the outdoors. Be sure to share your winter adventures with us when you stop by our office. We love hearing and seeing what you are involved in this winter.
(Photo Credit: pixabay.com)